Thursday, May 8, 2014

Delicious Coffee Cake

Ingredients:

For the cake:

  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla

For the topping:

  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 cups bisquick
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/4-1/2 cup powdered sugar
Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Cream butter and sugar
  3. beat eggs and milk; mix with butter
  4. In another bowl, mix flower and baking powder, then add to butter mixture
  5. Stir in vanilla (Personally I use Pampered Chef double bourbon Madagascar vanilla extract, if you use a stronger vanilla cut to half a teaspoon)
  6. Pour batter into a greased 9 x 13 pan.
  7. For the topping, cut butter into sugar, bisquick, and cinnamon. I like to use korinthe cinnamon, it is a stronger taste and I pretty much always use korinthe cinnamon as opposed to regular ground cinnamon--so I strongly recommend.
  8. Sprinkle the crumb topping over batter
  9. Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when tested.
  10. sprinkle powdered sugar on top if desired. This is not necessary, the topping is full of flavor and is sweet, but traditional coffee cake requires powdered sugar I am told
Delicious breakfast, can be cooked ahead of time and easy for when you have visitors to eat at their leisure.
This is my mother's favorite recipe, and she says it is a true New Jersey coffee cake--I did not grow up nor have I ever lived in New Jersey, but as it is where she grew up I will have to take her word for it.


Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment